Saturday, December 7, 2013

English Interview Practice at LMC Primary School


Interviewing LMC Students
After school on Thursday, December 5th, I went with 10 other students to Lui Ming Choi Primary School. We walked to the Shek Mun MTR station and took a bus to the school. We had a little trouble at first figuring out which room we should go into. But after a few minutes, we sorted it out. We split up and went into three rooms, with about four people in each room. I was in a room with Rachel Mok, Jenny Cheung, and Benedict Leung. Because it was our first time, Benedict explained to us what we should do. He told us not to follow the script exactly, but to ask questions that relate to their answer. I settled down in a corner of a room, waiting for students. 

Interviewing the "cute" student
In about a minute, the students started to enter the rooms. I interviewed around five to six students. Some questions/statements I asked them included: tell me about yourself, what would you do if you were the president of China, what do you want to be when you grow up, who is your role model, what is your favorite festival, tell me about a recent news report, what books do you read, and what are your hobbies. I wanted to laugh at some of their responses because sometimes their responses were really off topic. The Lui Ming Choi students gave me a  checklist to grade them when they arrived. I graded each student on their politeness, eye contact, posture, sentence fluency, pronunciation, vocabulary, relevance to my question, and confidence when answering. There was this really cute student that said twice, "I am talented in science." His English was pretty good. Another student I interviewed seemed to have memorized everything by heart. She said something like this, "I am (name). I go to Lui Ming Choi Primary School. I am 11 years old...." She was like reciting facts she has memorized. Three of the students gave a little bow and would not take a seat until I told them to. All of them were so polite. A lot of them seemed pretty nervous. 

In a classroom
When we finished interviewing the students, we split into two groups and went into the students' classrooms to inform them of how they did overall. We each spoke about what they did well and how they could improve. When we finished speaking, the teacher commanded the students to say "thank you" and "goodbye" to us. Yes, commanded. She said, "Stand up!" like an army commander. I think she could have have been a little more gentle. Out of all the services I have done, this is my favorite so far. I really liked interviewing the students. Time flew by as I was interviewing them. I had a lot of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment