Sunday, January 4, 2015

Christmas Fun Day at Heng On Community Center - December 13

On December 13, I went with other people from the GIN Education for All group and helped host a fun Christmas day for members of the Heng On community. In total, we had two booths with games. One of the games was to pick up marbles using chopsticks. The other game was to sort candies by their color. It was difficult to find games that would fit young children and elderly. The participants had to meet a requirement in order to receive a stamp from us. When they received all six stamps from the different booths, they could receive a prize.

I was warned that the event would be chaotic, but I didn't expect it to be that chaotic. Once the doors were opened, families rushed in and started line up for our booths. I was in charge of the "sort the candies by their color" booth. Originally, I had set the time for 45 seconds. However, the line was moving too slowly, so we opened another line and lowered the time and expectations for the participants. I timed them as they played and gave almost everyone a stamp. This went on for around 1 and a half hours.

After this entire event, I was exhausted from the people and the noises. But, I enjoyed serving the Heng On Community and knowing that I brought joy to the families. Christmas is a time for giving. This service embodied Christmas's meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment